MoWeFr 10:30AM - 11:20AM
Final Exam: Sa 8:30AM - 11:30AM, 2012/8/11
TASC 1, Room #8225
Office hours: We 15:00 - 16:00
Office hours: Mo 15:00 - 16:00, location: ASB9838_TA3
or by appointment in TASC 1, Room #8210
This course aims to give the student an
understanding of what a modern operating system is, and the
services it provides. It also discusses some basic issues in
operating systems and provides solutions. Topics include
multiprogramming, process management, memory management, and
file systems. Topics:
- Processes and Threads
- Memory Management
- File Systems
- Input/Output (Quick Intro.)
- Multimedia Operating Systems and Multiple Processor Systems - if time allows
Andrew S. Tanenbaum: Modern Operating Systems, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, 2008.
- CMPT 225
- MACM 101
The assignments consist of theoretical assignments and practical projects. Theoretical assignments do not directly contribute to your final grade. You will receive practical assignments every other week, and the assignments should be submitted here.
- 25% - Assignments (Practical)
- 15% - Midterm Exam
- 60% - Final Exam
- Forming study groups and working with each other is encouraged, but all prepared work you turn in must be your own. Do NOT copy code, solutions, or other text from your study partners or anyone else. You are expected to know and respect SFU's academic integrity discipline.
- Also: With each assignment, you must mention people whom you worked with, who you have helped, or who have helped you.