- Elected as Secretary of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: 2009-2013
- Reviewer for Czech National Science Foundation (GACR): 2013.
- Reviewer for NSERC Strategic Project Grants: 2013 and NSERC Discovery Grants: 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- MITACS College of Reviewers for the ACCELERATE program: April 2009 - April 2010
- Area co-chair, Machine Learning track, EMNLP 2017
- Program co-chair, NAACL HLT 2015.
- Doctoral forum chair for SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, SDM 2015.
- Tutorials chair for Meeting of the American Machine Translation Association, AMTA 2014.
- Program co-chair, Northwest NLP Workshop, NW-NLP 2014.
- Invited Applications Papers Selection Committee, 2011 International Conference on Machine Learning: ICML 2001.
- Program co-chair, CoNLL 2010: Fourteenth Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning, July 15-16, 2010. Uppsala, Sweden.
- Faculty Advisor for the NAACL HLT 2009 Student Research Workshop, Boulder, Colorado, June 1-3, 2009.
- Program Co-Chair, Ninth International Workshop on Tree Adjoining Grammars and Related Formalisms: TAG+9, Tübingen, Germany, June 7-8, 2008.
- Area Chair, Parsing, EMNLP-CoNLL 2007, Prague, Czech Republic, June 28-30, 2007.
- Area Chair, Machine Learning methods, COLING/ACL 2006, Sydney, Australia, 7th-21st July 2006.
- Local co-organizer, ACL 2017, Vancouver, BC
- Member of the organizing Committee for the 1st CAIAC/Precarn Canadian Intelligent Systems Challenge, 2008-2009. (an annual competition among Canadian university, college and high school students).
- Local Preparation and Student Volunteer Coordinator: HLT/EMNLP 2005, October 6-8, 2005.
- Local co-organizer (with Chung-hye Han): TAG+7: 7th Int’l Workshop on Tree Adjoining Grammar & Related Formalisms, 20-22 May, 2004.
- Associate Director of Research, School of Computing Science: Spring 2015
- Program Director, Computing Science Big Data Program: Spring 2014 - Summer 2015
- Senate approval of the CS Big Data Program: Fall-Summer 2013
- SFU Senate Undergraduate Awards Committee (SUAAC): 2012-2014
- Search committee for Associate Vice-President of Research for SFU: 2013.
- Tenure and Promotion Committee
- Fall 2003 - Summer 2004
- Fall 2013 - Summer 2014
- Fall 2014 - Summer 2015
- Spring 2016 - current: Graduate Program Committee member
- Fall 2015 - Spring 2016: Sabbatical
- Fall 2012 - Summer 2014: Capital Resources Committee member: Distinguished Lecture Series and CS Seminar series
- Fall 2011 - Summer 2012: Graduate Program Committee member
- Fall 2010 - Summer 2011: Graduate Program Committee member
- Fall 2009 - Fall 2010: Sabbatical
- Fall 2007 - Summer 2008: Capital Resources Committee member: chair of CS web sub-committee
- Fall 2006 - Summer 2007: Capital Resources Committee member: chair of CS web sub-committee
- Fall 2005 - Spring 2006: CS web committee
- Summer 2004 - Summer 2005: CS web sub-committee
- Fall 2004 - Spring 2005: Along with Valentine Kabanets, organized the PIMS/CS Distinguished Lecture Series
- Fall 2003 - Summer 2004: Graduate Program Committee, Organizer of the weekly Advanced Graduate Seminar for Fall 2003 and Spring 2004
- Fall 2002 - Summer 2003: Undergraduate Program Committee, Member of the subcommittee on undergraduate recruiting efforts