Model Patent Policy for Technology Transfer Company ("Company")
Company patent policy is founded on the principle
that patent rights ought to be exercised in the context of a fair deal
that maximizes mutual benefit to the inventor and the public. In exchange
for a grant of exclusive rights to our actual discoveries, we commit to
promoting the progress of science and useful arts in the following ways.
We will submit our patent applications to a rigorous process
of open review.
- We will encourage and participate in the identification of
prior art that relates to the patentability of our claims.
- We will endeavour to obtain claims that are patentable over the identified
- We will forgo the threat of treble damages for reviewers
who participate in the review of our applications in good faith.
- We will engage the engine of university research, publication and
teaching in advancing and disseminating technology knowledge.
- We will follow up our patent applications with articles,
technical reports and/or tutorials to further elaborate and
disseminate our technology.
- We will publish our articles, reports and tutorials under
a Creative Commons license so that they may be freely circulated and
- We will permit free use of our inventions for use in research
and education in accord with a covenant not to assert.
- We will engage the engine of free and open source software
development in advancing and disseminating practical methods of applying
our technology knowledge.
- We will follow up our patent applications with open source
software contributions that embody our fundamental claims.
- We will permit free use of our inventions for use in open source
software in accord with a covenant not to assert.
- We will permit free use of advancements embodied as modifications
to open source software provided that those advances are also made
available to the public as open source software.
- We will engage the engine of industrial research and development
in advancing and disseminating technology based on our inventions.
- We will permit the free use of our inventions for experimental
- We will license commercial applications of our technology on
fair and reasonable terms.