Jiangchuan Liu is currently a Full Professor (with University Professorship) in the School of Computing Science at Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada, and an NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellow. He is also an EMC-Endowed Visiting Chair Professor of Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (EMC讲席教授, 计算机系统与网络领域, 2013-2016). He was a Microsoft Research Fellow, and worked at Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) in the summers of 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, and 2011.
He received BEng (Cum Laude) from Tsinghua University in 1999, and PhD from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2003 (through HKUST's MED program with recommendation from Education Ministry of China and scholarship from Hong Kong Jockey Club; recipient of 2004 Hong Kong Young Scientist Award for the PhD work). From 2003 to 2004, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Networking and multimedia; in particular, multimedia content processing and communications, wireless mobile networking, cloud and big data computing, online gaming and social networking, and peer-to-peer networking.
Some Awards and Impact
· University Professorship, SFU, Sept 2015-Present
· NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship, 2015 (NSERC's most prestigious award to young researchers in Canadian universities; 6 recipients per year from all science and engineering fields nationwide)
· Award of Excellence in Research (Early Career), Faculty of Applied Sciences, SFU, 2012.
· IEEE Globecom Best Paper Award, 2011
· IEEE Communications Society Best Paper Award on Multimedia Communications 2009
· NSERC DAS Award, 2009
· IEEE IWQoS'08 and IEEE/ACM IWQoS'2012 Best Student Paper Awards
· Some practical contributions to large-scale content distribution:
o Rhizome, the first cloud gaming platform deployed on public virtualized cloud and with Nvidia Grid GPU support. Linux and Android client support.
o Coolstreaming: credited as the first large-scale peer-to-peer live video broadcast system in the world. This work appeared in IEEE INFOCOM'2005 has not only been highly cited (2100+ times, one of the most cited INFOCOM papers published in the past 10 years; recipient of the inaugural Test of Time Paper Award of INFOCOM in 2015), but also spearheaded a momentum in peer-to-peer streaming, with no fewer than a dozen successful companies such as PPLive, PPStream, UUSee and Yahoo! adopting the same mesh-based pull streaming technique to deliver live media content to millions of users.
o PPVA, a universal and transparent accelerator for video content distribution, released by PPLive. Over 50 million client copies downloaded.
· Editor/Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Big Data, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Access, IEEE Communications Tutorial and Surveys, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Elsevier Computer Communications
· Steering Committee Chair, IEEE/ACM IWQoS, 2015-2017
Area Chair, IEEE INFOCOM'2017, ACM Multimedia'2014,2016, IEEE ICCCN'2016, IEEE ICME'2016, IEEE Globecom'2015
· W. Cai, R. Shea, C.-Y. Huang, K.-T. Chen, J. Liu, V. C.M. Leung, C.-H. Hsu, The Future of Cloud Gaming: Point of View, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 104, No. 4, pp. 687-691, April 2016.
· J. Tang, Y. Cui, Q. Li, K. Ren, J. Liu, R. Buyya, Ensuring Security and Privacy Preservation for Cloud Data Services, to appear in ACM Computing Surveys, 2016.
· Z. Li, M. Drew, and J. Liu, Fundamentals of Multimedia, 2nd Edition, Textbook (727 pages, 350 illus.), Springer Texts in Computer Science Series, April 2014.
· B. Li, Z. Wang, J. Liu, and W. Zhu, Two Decades of Internet Video Streaming: A Retrospective View, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, Special Issue on 20th Anniversary of ACM SIGMM, 2013.
· J. Liu, S. G. Rao, B. Li, and H. Zhang, Opportunities and Challenges of Peer-to-Peer Internet Video Broadcast, Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Recent Advances in Distributed Multimedia Communications, Vol. 96, No. 1, January 2008.
Some Past Graduates and Postdocs in Academia
· Ryan Shea (2016) - currently University Research Associate at SFU (mentoring Big Data Professional Master Program)
· Xiaoqiang Ma (2015) - currently Assistant Professor at Huazhong University of Science and Technlogy
· Zhe Yang (2015) - currently Associate Professor at Northwestern Polytechnic University, China
· Haiyang Wang (2013) - currently Assistant Professor at University of Minnesota at Duluth, USA
· Feng Wang (2012) - currently Assistant Professor at University of Mississippi, USA
· Yanfang Zhou (2009) - currently Associate Professor at Fudan University, China
· Edith C.-H. Ngai (2007) - currently Associate Professor at Uppsala University, Sweden
· Dan Wang (2007) - currently Associate Professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
· Yuanzhu Peter Chen (2005) - currently Associate Professor at Memorial University of New FoundLand, Canada