Oliver Schulte's Page On Sports Analytics
Sports Analytics: Software and Datasets
Markov Game Model for the National Hockey League
Citing the dataset. If you use the dataset or the model, please cite the following paper (BibTex).
- Dataset. The complete NHL play-by-play data from 2001-2014. Provided by nhl.com. We manage the data inside a database system, so this is a dump from MySQL. Note: Before 2007, the data is not well standardized and does not include complete information about which players were on the ice at a given time.
- Model. We built a Markov game model for the 2007-2014 play-by-play data. This includes the state transition graph and the Q-functions for goals and penalties. We manage the data inside a database system, so this is a dump from MySQL. Managing big models in an RDBMS works very well, this is the BayesStore design philosophy.
- Analysis. Various tables that we use to evaluate the model, e.g. entropy conditional on states.
- Java Code. Currently all the documentation we have is this readme file.
- Routley, K. & Schulte, O.
- A Markov Game Model for Valuing Player Actions in Ice Hockey
- Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), pp.782-791.
Premier League Football Dataset
Box Scores from the 2011-2012 season in Excel format. You can get these in properly normalized SQL format from the relational learning database repository.