Jiangchuan Liu is currently a Full Professor (with University Professorship) in the School of Computing Science at Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada. He is an IEEE Fellow and an NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellow. He is also an EMC-Endowed Visiting Chair Professor of Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (EMC讲席教授, 计算机系统与网络领域, 2013-2016) and an Adjunct Professor of Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute. He was a Microsoft Research Fellow and worked at Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) in the summers of 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, and 2011.
He received BEng (Cum Laude) from Tsinghua University in 1999, and PhD from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2003 (through HKUST's MED program with recommendation from Education Ministry of China and scholarship from Hong Kong Jockey Club; recipient of 2004 Hong Kong Young Scientist Award for the PhD work). From 2003 to 2004, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Networking and multimedia; in particular, multimedia content processing and communications, wireless mobile networking, RFID, cloud and big data computing, online gaming and social networking, and peer-to-peer networking.
· Fellow of IEEE (for contributions to multimedia communications and content distribution over the Internet)
· University Professorship (the highest ranked professorship at SFU), SFU, Sept 2015-Present
· NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship, 2015 (NSERC's most prestigious award to young researchers in Canadian universities; 6 recipients per year from all science and engineering fields nationwide; the 12th recipient from computer science since year 1965)
· Editor/Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering，IEEE Transactions on Big Data, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Access, IEEE Communications Tutorial and Surveys, IEEE Internet of Things Journal
· Steering Committee Member, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2017-2019
Steering Committee Chair, IEEE/ACM IWQoS, 2015-2017
Area Chair, IEEE INFOCOM'2017-2018, ACM Multimedia'2014,2016
· W. Cai, R. Shea, C.-Y. Huang, K.-T. Chen, J. Liu, V. C.M. Leung, C.-H. Hsu, The Future of Cloud Gaming: Point of View, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 104, No. 4, pp. 687-691, April 2016.
· J. Tang, Y. Cui, Q. Li, K. Ren, J. Liu, R. Buyya, Ensuring Security and Privacy Preservation for Cloud Data Services, to appear in ACM Computing Surveys, 2016.
· Z. Li, M. Drew, and J. Liu, Fundamentals of Multimedia, 2nd Edition, Textbook (727 pages, 350 illus.), Springer Texts in Computer Science Series, April 2014.
· B. Li, Z. Wang, J. Liu, and W. Zhu, Two Decades of Internet Video Streaming: A Retrospective View, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, Special Issue on 20th Anniversary of ACM SIGMM, 2013.
· J. Liu, S. G. Rao, B. Li, and H. Zhang, Opportunities and Challenges of Peer-to-Peer Internet Video Broadcast, Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Recent Advances in Distributed Multimedia Communications, Vol. 96, No. 1, January 2008.
Some Past Graduates and Postdocs in Academia
· Ryan Shea (2016) - currently Assistant Professor at Simon Fraser University, Canada
· Xiaoqiang Ma (2015) - currently Assistant Professor at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China
· Zhe Yang (2015) - currently Associate Professor at Northwestern Polytechnic University, China
· Haiyang Wang (2013) - currently Assistant Professor at University of Minnesota at Duluth, USA
· Feng Wang (2012) - currently Assistant Professor at University of Mississippi, USA
· Yanfang Zhou (2009) - currently Associate Professor at Fudan University, China
· Edith C.-H. Ngai (2007) - currently Associate Professor at Uppsala University, Sweden
· Dan Wang (2007) - currently Associate Professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
· Yuanzhu Peter Chen (2005) - currently Associate Professor at Memorial University of New FoundLand, Canada
To PhD, MSc, and Postdoc Applicants
I always have some openings. Please send me your CV and transcript. Also note that SFU requires Toefl score for MSc and PhD admission only. GRE is not necessary.