Possible Thesis Topics with Oliver Schulte (February 2017)I am researching machine learning for structured data, SQL, XML, network data, event logs, sports data.
Basic Research.Some of the basic research question for such data include the following.
- Learning Bayesian networks. We use these to model the joint distribution of object attributes and links, and for feature generation.
- Anomaly Detection and Exception Mining.
Scaling to hundreds of features (attributes and relationship types) is one of the research topics I would like to work on. This combines systems tools (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) with machine learning.
Application AreasRelational learning has many exciting application areas. I am especially interested in the following.
- Statistical Modelling of Sports Data. E.g. player ranking, drafting decisions, match outcome prediction.
- Detecting Relationships in Computer Vision.
- Extracting Relationships from Text.
- Anomaly Detection, Data Cleaning.
- Business Process Mining (see the BPM challenge ).